Parks Recreation Open Space (PROS) Plan
On February 22, 2022, the Monroe City Council adopted the 2022 Parks, Recreation, and Open Space (PROS) Plan. The PROS Plan is the City’s long-range plan for our community’s park, recreation, and open space system.
The public played a major role in the development of the PROS Plan by providing input on what types of parks, facilities, and recreation activities are needed in our community.
Specifically, City staff received substantial input from the public on:
- Identifying ways that parks, facilities, trails, and programs can enhance community livability and meet the needs of new growth.
- Ways to plan for ongoing improvements in all City parks and open spaces, including Lake Tye Park and the Cadman site.
- How to prioritize and support events and activities offered in our parks.
- Ways to protect our natural resources and connect our city via our trail network.
- How to maximize the City’s investment in parks to increase our City’s economic prosperity.
About the Master Plan
The 2022 PROS Plan guides the City’s future investment in parks, facilities, trails, programs, and events—so that Monroe can be the community that residents want to see. Based on outreach and a technical assessment of community priorities and needs, the PROS Plan provides 20-year, strategic guidance for the entire park and recreation system. It also identifies specific park enhancement projects and a funding plan for the next 6-years. This plan addresses the requirements of the State of Washington Growth Management Act (GMA) and the State of Washington Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO).
PROS Planning Process
Meeting and Document Library
Use the links below to find additional information related to the planning process.
- Park System Map
- Park and Facility Inventory
- Joint Park Board/Planning Commission Zoom meeting presentation. The group met on Monday, September 14, 2020 to discuss project goals and the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and challenges for the park system.
- Community Questionnaire Results Summary. An online survey was conducted that ran from December 16, 2020 to January 19, 2021, inviting community members to provide input on the state of parks and recreation, current needs, funding priorities, and funding mechanisms. The input received will help shape the goals and strategies of the Plan. This document summarizes the questionnaire methodology and key findings.
- Joint Park Board/Planning Commission Zoom meeting #2 presentation. The group met on Monday, April 26, 2021. Discussion centered on policies and priorities, with a presentation on needs & opportunities, followed by discussion on vision, goals and objectives.
- Joint Park Board/Planning Commission Zoom meeting # 2 summary.
- PROS Vision Framework
- Parks Town Hall Virtual Meeting Presentation
- July 29, 2021 Virtual Monroe Town Hall Meeting and August 3, 2021 National Night Out Against Crime Pop-Up Event Summary