Domestic Violence Information

Domestic Violence Information

Domestic violence is defined as physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or the infliction of fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury or assault, between "family or household members", or sexual assault of one family member by another.

Family or household members are defined as spouses, former spouses, adult persons related by blood or marriage, persons who are presently residing together, or have resided together in the past, and persons who have a child in common regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time. View the Domestic Violence Response Commitment.

Domestic Violence Victim Rights

You can ask the city or county prosecuting attorney to file a criminal complaint. You also have the right to file a petition in Superior, District, or Municipal Court requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse, which could include any of the following:

  • An order restraining your abuser from further acts of abuse
  • An order directing an abuser to leave your household
  • An order preventing your abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment
  • An order awarding you or the other parent custody of or visitation with your minor child or children
  • An order restraining your abuser from molesting or interfering with minor children in your custody

Protection Orders

The forms needed to obtain a protection order are available in any Municipal, District, or Superior Court. Information about shelters and alternatives to domestic violence is available from a statewide 24-hour toll-free hotline, the Washington State Domestic Violence Hotline, 800-562-6025. The Battered Women’s Shelter and other resources in your area are listed inside this pamphlet. For more help, view our helpful contacts.